Sunday, June 6, 2010

travel- bucket list

So I re-found my bucket list I wrote when I was barely 19 years old. I wrote it then because I was told I wouldn't live to see 30. Well, 7 years later, I'm still here and most of the items on my list are, happily, crossed off. Some of the items are so mundane and ordinary (for the alternative girl that I am) but "daring" to white sub-urban folk. Like, having blue hair, which I've done not once, but several times. Same with green hair, a mohawk... you get the picture.

There are of course several items I won't be able to do because of cost - not health. I used to think I couldn't climb pyramids - but I did. OK, I never reached the top as a direct result of my health, but I reached more than 2/3rd of the way up; enough to look across the sea of green tree tops. It was awesome (until I looked down from the very narrow/steep steps). I pushed myself that day and the photos show (swelling, etc. afterwards) but I did it! Heck, my sister didn't even climb and she's as fit as a mountain hiker (which she does in Cali/Venezuela). I think the one or 2 things I probably won't be able to do are jump out of planes and bungee jump. I've always joked that I'll bungee jump, when I know I'm on my last day, that way if the jumping kills me I would have been on my way out very soon anyway.

So as far as travel is concerned: I started actually looking at fights to Israel, even though my trip fund is only half way there. Damn seat sales they tease me. I started looking at Safed and all the sacred sights I could possibly go on. This is exciting.
Heart disease be damned, I'm going to the Middle East! Not sure when (as I'm not booking anything until those papers are signed and I have a much higher balance in my travel account). I'm hoping before next Pesach. I just have to make sure I break the air time up with short flight (3 stops is much better for my health than 2 long ones etc.) (embolisms).

I even have the itch to just make Newfoundland a reality, until I factored in the cost of the ferry. Oh well, it's something I can let go of, for now. I justify my bucket-list item of driving from coast to coast as "land coast" - which I've done.

I continue to pray that these meds continue to work a miracle in my life AND that I continue to have whatever coverage is necessary for me to acquire them.

Now to learn stick so I can drive a sexy cobalt blue Jeep YJ across a dessert (New Mexico??)...

Most of all though, my work is fulfilling my other life goal: have a fulfilling career related to my education that helps others and stretches my soul. I'm teaching this summer semester for the 8th year and it's actually not tiring me out. I get to talk about what I know and teach others how to use it. How freaking awesome is that?