Monday, August 9, 2010

dr.s are not g-ds

So I've got some sort of summer "cold" or something or other. I went to a walk in clinic just to make sure it wasn't strep and to kill the bug before it starts to tear down my immune system. Usually I'm given antibiotics (because I'm allergic to Penicillin) and so that's what I was given to day. I wasn't familiar with this new antibiotic, so I asked the dr. if it had any contra-indications to Tracleer. Of course she wasn't really familiar with it and said my pharmacist should know.
Great... this sounds like a wild goose chase in the making.
And so it was.
When it was filled, I made sure to ask again, about any contraindications. One pharmacist never heard of what I'm on, the other was a little familiar. I gave them my Cardio man's number to phone it in. In the end, I'm out an hour and out anything to treat my little infection. And this is precisely why I became interested in alternative medicine when I was all of 16: because usually I can't be treated by the mainstream stuff anyway.
I took it upon myself to fax the walk-in clinic a complaint. Had she taken the extra 30 seconds to check her CPS (any medical professionals "bible") I wouldn't have to run across the city, spend an hour waiting to see about these meds, and perhaps she could have scripted me something else. Now I have nothing else to treat this (at least I have a dr.'s note for missing work).

So I'm back to my traditional way of doing things: zinc, iron, and 3-4,000 mg of Vit C, tiger balm to ease the throat. This better go away fast: I don't want to be stuck in the US with some bug. Oh wait, I have benefits now!!! (I still don't want to be stuck in the US with anything).