Friday, March 2, 2012

my honeymoon

I just got back from my honeymoon. Ma belle wanted a beach vacation, I'm not into beaches. I just can't sit still. We joked on day 3 of our trip that I have the mind of an adventure traveller but the body of a beach vacationer. So we compromised, did a lot more of what my doctor ever thought I could do and she even got her full day at the beach. The day we became lobsters I have to add!

My trip began with a preparatory session of acupuncture. I received some 12 hours before take-off. It paid off. It was primarily for anxiety. I find I "syc myself out" way too much that I might as well be having a hard time physically. I mean, I believe in psychoneuroimmunology so why on earth wouldn't a calm mind contribute to a calm flight. It did. I had my best flights, both there and back, ever. Psychologically speaking. In reality, we were late for take-off, the flight attendant didn't help us securing the O2 machine, even when called. I've been questioning my cardio-man's warnings lately (ok, when have I not). This time they're making me really think about the negative impact their comments/warnings have. Just by stating his concern (in the way he does) it sorta plants that potential seed in my mind. Then I start worrying every time I tasted blood, like I did when we first arrived. I also understand the importance of monitoring signs and symptoms but they way cardio-man describes this, it gets in the way of living. In the end, I did not experience any significant amounts of blood in mucus. (This post would have been completely different). It's when I spoke to my acupuncturist that I really realized that these warnings and precautions I've been given are just too much. There's no reason I can't do what I want, so long as it isn't crazy. I know in my heart what's crazy and what isn't. Egypt is crazy, Mexico, not so much.

Because I had been to Mexico before, I knew that the mid-day sun was just too hot for me, so most days I made sure to take my siesta indoors between 12:00 and 1500 hrs/3:00pm. During those hours I would hang out in our room, take a nap, or read, all plugged up to O2. The cool down time allowed me to continue my day in the afternoon heat. Unlike other resort-type folk, we were up early and in bed early. I mean early.

There was one exception. The days we went to Isla Mujeres and Chichen'Itza. At least when we were on the island we had a cover on our little golf-cart. At the ruins, there was NO cover to be found and being hundreds of kilometers inland, there was no ocean breeze to help cool down. That was the worst day of the trip. I suffered heat stroke (not my first time though), and even with my O2 at it's fullest on the POC I had a hard time breathing. It was bearable when standing in front of the pyramid El Castillo. I actually had quite the moment, knowing I was in the middle of one of the sites of one of the New 7 Wonders of the New world: I am still alive to check it off my list. I know that I will never be able to travel to Egypt to see those pyramids, but just 2 weeks short of my 39th birthday I was there to see those. Further along the site I walked down to the sacred cenote (where, according to our tour guide, people were thrown in for offerings). (Our tour guide had quite the story to tell us, some of which through my own research - because I'm a nerd - wasn't all factual. I guess white people are easy to entertain). Anyway, it was the walk down to the cenote that did me in. Any regular person was drenched by the heat of the mid-day sun. I was done for it. I passed out for most of the ride back. It was really only that day that my fragility was apparent (I like to think anyway). I had no feeling in my arms (and feet too) for many hours. That's how little blood was going to my extremities. But, that acupuncture that I received many days back was still working. I didn't freak out. I simply slept on the tours bus, and back at the hotel (once showered) slept it off.