Tuesday, June 4, 2013

transplant follow-up: waiting

Welcome to Canadian health care: where you don't have to lose your house but you will most likely die waiting. I don't usually complain about Canadian health care as I know I'm very fortunate to be Canadian and not go broke because I couldn't afford the hundreds of thousands of dollars (over the years) to care for my cardiac and pulmonary issues. Even routine cardiology appointments can be costly. I am lucky and grateful to be Canadian. I also know that if I can't stand the wait, I am free to go pay for my health-care east of the border. I simply have to get in my car and cross the border to pay out of my pocket if I don't want to wait. I have never been tempted to do that, as literally have the people I know that have done that, have also died. (The trouble with paying for care is that you don't know who you're paying.)
I write this because I heard back from my cardiologist about tests in TO. What's taking so long: bed shortages for non-emergency testing (like me). Unless you're dieing this minute, it's back to the end of the line. Seeing as I don't have over $800,000 for the surgery (I Googled how much a double-lung transplant is in the US, sickening isn't it), "paying for it" is not an option. When organ donation sites state that thousands die waiting for an organ, I'd like to add that thousands also die waiting to simply get onto the list! I could be one of those.
What I don't understand is that even with the bed shortages in TO, why they wouldn't take my tests from here. They are the same tests, my city has the capability of performing the tests I have yet to take. I comprehend the nature of wanting to be part of the process, but seriously...
I just want to know: am I a candidate or not. If I'm not, I can get on with the letting go of life stage and if I am, then there are many decisions to be made.
That's where the process is at: the big WAIT.