Friday, January 10, 2014

Pulmonary Hypertension follow-up.

Just a quick post today.
I just came back from the lung doctor. He wants to put me on additional medication. From past experience I know PH meds can be quite expensive. The one I'm currently on costs about $4000 a month (give or take $5). I told him my concern wasn't physical side effects but the monetary side effect. He assured me they are cheaper than the one I'm currently on (which I will remain on). I Googled them and wouldn't you know, they are cheaper, by $100. So in a month from now my monthly drug costs will go from about $4100 (other meds I'm on) to $8000. Lovely. Even with 80% coverage on my spouse's plan, 20% of $8000 a month is a lot of money for a one-income family.

I always joked that I had expensive taste.... designer drugs are not the kind of expensive taste I meant.

I really want to get back to work. I'm not sure I will be able to - I am coming to understand just how "pie-in-the-sky" that goal is. Though I won't give up just yet.